03 March 2006

Retreat

Well, I went on retreat, which was wonderful. I took myself off to Elmore Abbey (near Newbury, Berkshire) for two days. I took "The Christian Priest Today" by Michael Ramsey which was one of the first vocational books I read and had not found very useful the first time through, but this time round it was wonderful and really helped me to prepare for the Selection Conference.

Elmore Abbey itself is in a large country house (owing to its proximity to the village church, I guess it was once the Vicarage/Rectory), much altered and extended to suit the needs of a monastic house, situated in beautiful (but acessible) countryside. One of the extensions is the fabulous Oratory (as they call it, but I would have thought "Abbey Church"?). This is built entirely of wood to a Saxon design, with splendid stained glass and many other lovely, but simple, features. For two days I absorbed myself in the Church's offering of prayer there (except for the 5.30am Office of Readings!) which really provided the backbone of my retreat.

The community are friendly and welcoming but woefully small. They are currently without an Abbot but are being ruled by their new (and relatively young) Prior. Fortunately, they are able to enjoy and draw on a large oblate community for support.

I returned from retreat feeling calm and peaceful, prepared for and focussed on the forthcoming Selection Conference. It was the best preparation I could have hoped for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home