03 March 2006

Pre-Conference

The days between my retreat and Selection Conference passed peacefully, with just enough distractions to keep nerves at bay, but not so many that I got stressed out and tired. We had Exposition and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament at church on Saturday (now to become a regular thing) and Father had asked me to lead the devotions. I read aloud the text of a hymn that I know well because I used often to sing it as an anthem in a choir I was in when younger. It has been one of the private devotions I use after receiving communion for a few years now.

Be still, my soul, for God is near;
the great High Priest is with thee now;
the Lord of Life himself is here,
before whose face the angels bow.

To make thy heart his lowly thron
thy Saviour God in love draws nigh;
he gives himself unto his own,
for whom he once came down to die.

I come, O Lord! -for thou dost call-
to blend my pleading prayer with thine;
to thee I give myself - my all,
and feed on thee and make thee mine.

(O Sacred Food! O Cleansing Stream!
Fill all my soul with love Divine;
O Thou, who didst my life redeem,
come to my heart and make me thine!)

Tears sprang up in my eyes and my voice cracked in the penultimate verse. I managed to remain composed but it was profoundly moving to speaking aloud a prayer I have used privately for years, especially with the anticipation of the days ahead. "I come, O Lord! To thee I give myself, my all!"

Masses and prayers went up for me and the cards and well-wishes came flooding in. I felt very loved and held in prayer and went to Selection Conference knowing that I would not be alone or forgotten.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Wow, mate. What a wonderful thing to recount. The prayer is, definitely, truly beautiful.

Happy Lent by the way - and I'll be praying for you for your selection conference.

All my best, and Dominus tecum,

Peter
+ :)

11:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*waves and applauds frantically*

Congratulations!

12:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home